Hamworthy Hedgehog Rescue

Share on facebook
Share on twitter

A cloud of flies

This is Nadine, a 305g female hog that came in yesterday afternoon. She was seen out during the daytime, limping, with a cloud of flies around her.

She smelled strongly of infection, and was dehydrated.

We quickly noticed that she had a large puncture wound near her right armpit, and the skin was torn from a large section of her chest. The whole area was full of leaf debris and other material, and was full of infection and decaying tissue.

We cleaned the whole area and removed as much pus and infected tissue as possible, flushing with liberal amounts of sterile saline solution. Antibacterial barrier ointment was applied topically to the whole area to help keep down infection.

She was given subcutaneous fluids, pain relief and antibiotic injections and placed into an ICU with food and water.

It looks very much like she had been impaled on something and had managed to free herself.

I’m pleased to report that she cleared her food bowl overnight, and the wound had very little infection when we checked her this morning. The smell has also very much reduced. The wound was flushed again and she was given more pain relief and antibiotics.

We will keep a very close eye on her, and she will remain in an ICU for at least the next 48 hours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More Articles

Hogs
Jim

Trapped in netting

Another entry this evening, a young adult female hog – Found trapped in netting. Has garrotte wound to neck, very

Read More »
Hogs
Jim

Tilly

Tilly came in on 2nd Oct weighing 130g and was pretty poorly with lungworm and a respiratory infection. After a

Read More »
Uncategorised
Jim

Bournemouth Echo

Following our little piece in yesterdays Echo, we had 4 hedgehogs in overnight and this morning.One from Bournemouth College campus, which was brought in by a member of the college staff, one from Corfe-Mullen which had been found laying on the road, one from Wareham which sadly died before it got here, and one this morning from Upton that was found when a garden shed was being taken down.

Read More »